Have you ever found yourself hiding your smile when taking photos with friends? Perhaps you’ve struggled to enjoy your favourite foods in Adelaide due to dental discomfort. In these everyday situations and more, the solution to regaining your confidence and comfort might just be dental crowns.
What Are Dental Crowns?
Dental crowns are caps or coverings for damaged teeth. They are one of the most common restorative and cosmetic dental treatments when dental fillings can no longer fix a broken, weakened, or damaged tooth.
These caps can be made from different materials like resin, porcelain or metal alloys. Your dentist will assess your dental condition and recommend the best material for your specific needs.
They are a permanent solution for damaged teeth as they can last between 5 to 15 years with proper care.
Reasons for Getting Dental Crowns
There are several compelling reasons why you may need dental caps:
Reason #1: Tooth Decay
Dental crowns are often used to restore teeth that have extensive decay, preventing further damage and preserving the tooth’s function.
Reason #2: Cracked or Fractured Teeth
Crowns can reinforce and protect cracked or fractured teeth, preventing them from breaking further.
Reason #3: Cosmetic Enhancements
If you are seeking cosmetic improvements, you can opt for this treatment to cover discoloured, misshapen, or poorly aligned teeth.
Reason #4: Root Canal Therapy
After a root canal procedure, crowns are placed to strengthen the treated tooth, allowing it to function like a natural tooth.
Reason #5: Tooth Wear
Excessive tooth wear, often caused by grinding or clenching, can be addressed with these tooth caps to restore your tooth structure and function.
How it works
If you’re considering dental crowns in Adelaide, it’s important to understand the procedure involved. Typically, the dental crown procedure includes several steps such as tooth preparation, taking impressions or digital scans, crown fabrication, and the final placement.
The entire procedure is typically painless, and your dentist may use local anesthesia to keep you comfortable.
Types of Dental Crowns
Dental crowns come in various types, each with its own set of advantages and disadvantages. Some common types include:
- Porcelain Crowns – Known for their natural appearance, porcelain crowns are an excellent choice for front teeth due to their aesthetic appeal.
- Metal Crowns – Metal crowns, often made of alloys like gold or silver, are highly durable and long-lasting.
- Ceramic Crowns – Ceramic crowns offer a balance between aesthetics and strength, making them suitable for many applications.
- Zirconia Crowns – Zirconia crowns are known for their strength and durability, making them ideal for molars.
Each type has its unique characteristics, and your dentist will recommend the most suitable option based on your specific needs.
Benefits of Dental Crowns
The benefits of dental crowns extend beyond restoring the function of your teeth. They can significantly impact your confidence and self-esteem:
- Enhanced Aesthetics. Dental crowns can transform the appearance of your teeth, concealing imperfections, and creating a beautiful, symmetrical smile.
- Improved Functionality. Crowns restore the function of damaged or weakened teeth, allowing you to eat, speak, and chew comfortably.
- Durability. Dental caps are long-lasting and can withstand the forces of daily use, providing a reliable solution for years to come.
- Confidence Boost. With a revitalised smile, you’ll naturally feel more confident in social and professional settings.
- Prevent Further Damage. Crowns act as protective shields, preventing further damage to compromised teeth.
- Easy Maintenance. Caring for dental crowns is as simple as maintaining your natural teeth through regular brushing, flossing, and dental check-ups.
How to Take Care of Your Dental Crowns
To maintain your dental crowns’ longevity and keep your smile looking its best, follow these simple care tips:
Tip #1: Maintain Oral Hygiene.
Brush your teeth at least twice a day and floss daily to keep your gums and teeth healthy.
Tip #2: Avoid Excessive Force.
Be mindful of habits like teeth grinding and avoid biting on hard objects to protect your crowns.
Tip #3: Regular Dental Check-ups.
Schedule routine check-ups and cleanings with your Adelaide dentist to monitor your crowns’ health and maintain overall oral hygiene.
Dental crowns offer a powerful solution to restore your confidence by addressing various dental issues, enhancing aesthetics, and improving functionality.
If you’re considering dental crowns in Adelaide, contact us at Perfect Smile today. Our experienced dentists would be glad to help you restore your confidence one smile at a time. Call us on (08) 8210 9414 or book an appointment online.